Insanely Rich Double Chocolate Cookies:
[inspired by: katie at the kitchen door]
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/3 cup salted butter
8 oz. ghirardelli bittersweet choco chips
1/3 cup white whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 addtl cup ghirardelli bittersweet chips
1/3 cup walnuts finely chopped
1. melt butter & 8 oz choco chips in sauce pan over low heat until melted
2. in a mixing bowl whisk eggs, sugar, salt & vanilla together until frothy & incorporated
3. whisk chocolate mixture into sugar mixture
4. add flour, walnuts & baking powder and mix until incorporated
5. add additional chocolate chips and mix well
6. cover & let sit at room temperature about 2 hours until dough solidifies
7. bake at 350 degrees for 12-14 minutes
8. sprinkle sea salt/walnuts over cookies on pan
9. makes approximately 18 cookies
As you probably know by now I am a major chocolate lover & after realizing that the last two recipes I posted were healthy I was really feeling a need to provide a guilty pleasure. That's why we eat healthy right? In order to eat dessert every now and again and not feel too guilty about it. I have always loved double chocolate cookies, but for some reason I hadn't gotten around to making my own recipe before now. I love what I ended up with because there is not much sugar or butter & I used white whole wheat flour but you can't even tell! I also love the addition of the walnuts. I chopped them extremely fine to add a nutty flavor without big chunks that would freak my poor husband out.
First thing when he walked in the door I handed him one & he declared 'it tastes like a brownie.' I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing, but as a brownie aficionado I'm content. Just the right amount of chocolatey chewy goodness & in my opinion salt is the perfect finishing touch on a deeply chocolate cookie like this one.
I hope you enjoy these as much as we did, I'm looking forward to a trip to Washington this weekend for my former roommate/best friend Lauren's wedding. Click here to see some engagement pics I took of her and her fiance.